The Templeton Community Fire Department (TCFD) was formally organized by the Templeton City Council on October 20, 1886. The department had humble beginnings, starting with very basic fire-fighting equipment including a hand-pumper, hose cart, and a limited amount of lined hose. Ladders were soon added, and the first engine house was built in 1891. In 1893 a fire bell was acquired, and the City Council gave the Fire Department full responsibility of the fire apparatus. The Department’s first fire truck was put into service in 1924, and a new fire station was also constructed at this time.
In 1934, the Department acquired a second fire truck, and this truck was in service for over 50 years until it was sold in the early 2000’s to a department member. The truck has been restored and is still used in parades, as is the Department’s 1952 International pumper which is also now owned and maintained by a local family. The TCFD grew significantly over the years, acquiring new trucks and equipment as necessary and receiving training in various firefighting and emergency response techniques. Of particular note is the Department’s role in the beginning of the Carroll County First Responder Program, which was initiated by TCFD member Tom “Bunny” Walsh in 1984 to improve emergency medical response in cities without ambulance service.
Today the TCFD is a full-service, modern emergency response organization that is staffed entirely by local volunteers. The Department has a roster of 33 dedicated men and women who are well trained and who maintain the department’s equipment and facilities. The TCFD maintains two stations, including the original 1924 station and the newer 1979 station that received an updated façade in 2011. The TCFD has five trucks, including a 1987 GMC Tanker, 1993 International Pumper/Tanker, 1994 International Pumper/Tanker, 2016 Dodge Brush/Quick Attack, and a 2020 Dodge Brush/Quick Attack. The Department’s EMS staff includes EMT's, Critical Care Paramedics, and a RN/Paramedic and maintains and houses one of Carroll County’s seven ambulance units, a service that was added in 2001.